Monday, June 7, 2010

Forza Azzurri!!!!

I'm waaay overdue for a post (been working hard at my new job!), and with four days to go until the world's greatest sporting event begins, what better excuse to blog than the Italian national soccer team?

Here's a shot of the reigning world champions after their fourth (count 'em: that's FOUR stars!!!!) World Cup victory (July 9, 2006 - best day of my life):


And here's a close up of our captain (the very beautiful Fabio Cannavaro - in his club (Juventus) shirt):


I became a fan of the Azzurri during the 1994 World Cup - the days of Paolo Maldini (my all-time favorite player - a) because he's beautiful and b) because I played his position in high school - left fullback), Roberto Baggio (Il Divin Codino), Gianluca Pagliuca ("brutally handsome" was the description used), et al. That year, we made it to the finals, but lost to Brazil (my second most hated soccer team - because everyone else cheers for them and I have to be a contrarian...plus they keep frickin' winning!) in a penalty shoot out (120 minutes plus of pure agony). Ugh.

And I had to wait 12 years to see them advance again to the finals - this time against my most hated soccer team - Les Bleus! In soccer - as in most sports - it's important to have a nemesis (or two). Makes things more exciting.

See, I hate the French team because they eliminated Italy in 1998 (and then went on to win the WC) and in the Euro 2000 final, as Italy was poised to win the tournament 1-0, the referee invents an overtime minute and France scores the equaliser. And THEN, in supplemental play, Trezeguet scores the golden goal...and once again, I am crushed. ARGH!!!

So July 9, 2006 - again, 120 minutes plus of agonizing play (an extraordinary save by Gigi Buffon stopped a killer header by Zidane) before going to penalty shoot out - only the Azzurri can torment their fans like this (seriously, only twice has the World Cup final gone to penalties and both times Italy played...). And we all know how it ended - FOUR STARS!!!! Woot! Woot!

And now, it's four years later, and World Cup fever once again has taken hold. I'm sad to see that a couple of my favorite players will not be playing: Luca Toni and Fabio Grosso (hero of 2006). But excited to see Cannavaro back as captain. Can we defend the title? Hopefully well - but I have a feeling this could be Spain's year (Euro 2008 champions). Germany, too, have a shot I think...though with Ballack out on injury (Kevin-Prince Boateng, I hate you!), their prospects waned a bit. At least they won't have that klutz of a goalkeep (yes, still resentful that Klinsman chose Lehmann over Ollie Kahn - who I am certain would've been able to block that shot from Grosso that sent Germany out of the tournament...though of course I don't regret the outcome).

PHEW! Ok, I think I've vented enough. Forza Azzurri!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment