Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Turning Point


This past Sunday, I attended the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary's ThanksLiving 4.0 event - a vegan Thanksgiving celebration and fundraiser for the Sanctuary's farmed animal rescues. It was my first time attending the event, and I hope to make it an annual tradition going forward. The food was OUTstanding (vegan pumpkin cheesecake with whipped nutcream!), and I can't tell you how fantastic it was NOT to have to ask "what's in that" every time an hors d'oeuvre got passed - I could eat EVERYthing!

The presentations - by Nathan Runkle of Mercy for Animals and John Phillips of the New York League of Humane Voters, among others - were moving. So moving that I am committed to doing the vegan thing for real, not the half-assed veganism I've been practicing for the past year (which largely amounted to no eggs or dairy in the house
- in fact, a big step for someone who kept more than 5 types of gourmet cheeses on hand at any given time and regularly made meals of cheese, crackers, olives and wine).

This is not going to be easy - not because I can't live without frittatas or La Tur, but because of the amount of vigilance needed: yesterday I ate several Hershey's Kisses and only realized today that they are made of milk chocolate (doh!). Still, I believe this is an important step I must take. I don't want to contribute to the suffering of dairy cows or the suffering of battery hens. Because I don't have to. And because I have a moral obligation not to.

I will be in Rome on my way to Paris for Thanksgiving Day this year. I'll be remembering the little critters at WFAS and keeping it vegan. No cappuccinos or croissants for me, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment