Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Eggless Benedict


Ta-da! Last Saturday I made my first attempt at vegan brunch, and I must say - it was an OBSCENE success (and I do say so myself).

The less interesting elements:

- mandarin orange slices on a bed of arugula w/ fresh lemon & olive oil vinaigrette

- sweet and russet potato home fries, seasoned w/ green bell pepper and red onion

Now for the good stuff: Eggless Benedict!!!

This required overnight preparation (3-4 hours might do, but overnight just seemed easier) of the tofu. I took one package of extra firm tofu, wrapped it in paper towels and then in a cloth towel, then placed the tofu in a bowl w/ a plate on top and a 7 lb. weight on that to press the water out. By morning the tofu had a much firmer and drier texture - when cooked, it approximates egg white. I then cut out 4 tofu rounds about half an inch thick. These were fried on both sides over medium low heat, no oil - just until lightly browned.

For the base of the Eggless Benedict, I used toasted crumpets - much chewier and better-textured than English muffins. These were topped with slices of ripe avocado and slices of skillet-browned Lightlife vegan "ham." Place cooked tofu rounds on top and cover with vegan hollandaise sauce: a blend of 1 cup vegan mayo (I like Nasoya brand), juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 4 tablespoons vegan butter (melted), 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon white (or black) pepper (finely grated), 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, 1 teaspoon regular yellow mustard (preferably not that French's crap, though), 2 tablespoons olive oil. After blending ingredients, warm over low heat before serving (do not boil).

This meal sounds a lot more complicated than it actually was. If you're nice to me, I might make it for you. Especially if you bring a gift of bubbly & peach juice - bellinis paired quite nicely with the meal!

3 comments:

  1. That. Sounds. DELICIOUS. I love your blog!! You kick arse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy. when are you opening that restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious Sue. I do read your blog and I think it is great.

    ReplyDelete